Photo by Columbia Pictures
In July 2 1997, was released one classic movie of the 90’s, ‘Men In Black’. The movie is about a private agency code named MiB. This agency is some kind of extra terrestrial surveillance corporation. One of the agency’s finest men only going by the name “K”, is recruiting for a new addition to the agency. He has chosen James Edwards of the N.Y.P.D. Then, one day, a flying saucer crashes into Earth. This was an alien a part of the “Bug” race. He takes the body of a farmer and heads to New York. He is searching for a super energy source called “The Galaxy”. So, Agents J and K must stop the bug before it can escape with the galaxy.
Stars: Tommy Lee Jones, Will Smith, Vincent D’Onofrio
Director: Barry Sonnenfeld
To celebrate the 20th anniversary, here are some of the curiosities about this movie.
- Vincent D’Onofrio researched his role as Edgar, by watching a lot of bug documentaries. In order to achieve his character’s distinctive walk, he put on knee braces so he couldn’t bend his legs, and taped up his ankles.
- Will Smith didn’t believe it was really Steven Spielberg on the other end of the line when the Executive Producer first called to talk to him about the movie.
- The site BadAstronomy, famed for bashing science fiction movies (such as Armageddon (1998) about their science blunders, praised this movie for being comedic, yet surprisingly accurate, when it comes to astronomy facts.
- The “known aliens” visible on the screen include Al Roker, Isaac Mizrahi, Danny DeVito, Director Barry Sonnenfeld, Chloe Sonnenfeld (Barry’s daughter), Sylvester Stallone, Dionne Warwick, Newt Gingrich, Anthony Robbins, George Lucas, and Executive Producer Steven Spielberg.
- Tommy Lee Jones only accepted the role of K after Steven Spielberg promised the script would improve. He had been disappointed with the first draft, which he felt did not capture the tone of the comic.
- Will Smith, after reading the script, did not want to accept the role, but his wife Jada Pinkett Smith convinced him to take the part.
- The sunglasses used by the Men in Black are the Ray-Ban “Predator 2” glasses. After the film’s released, Ray-Ban reported that sales of these glasses tripled, from 1.6 million dollars to 5 million dollars.
- Clint Eastwood was offered the role of K, but turned it down.
Vincent D’Onofrio, who plays Edgar the Bug, went on to voice all the Bugs who appeared in Men in Black: The Series (1997).
- To research his role, Will Smith visited an alien encounter convention in Las Vegas.
- The MiB headquarters is located in the ventilation tower of the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, which connects Manhattan with Brooklyn.
- Quentin Tarantino was originally offered the chance to direct, but turned it down.