Photo by TriStar
In June 20 1997, was released one classic movie of the 90’s, ‘My Best Friend’s Wedding’. The movie is about a woman who, by a promise made years earlier, is supposed to marry her best friend in three weeks, even though she doesn’t want to. When she finds out that he’s marrying someone else, she becomes jealous and tries to break off the wedding.
Stars: Julia Roberts, Dermot Mulroney, Cameron Diaz, Rupert Everett
Director: P.J. Hogan
To celebrate the 20th anniversary, here are some of the curiosities about this movie.
- Julia Roberts hand-picked both Dermot Mulroney and Cameron Diaz for this film.
- Drew Barrymore read for the role of Kimberly, but lost out to Cameron Diaz when Julia Roberts suggested her for the part instead.
- In the movie Rupert Everett’s characters name is George, but in the script he was originally called Digger.
- Most of the songs in the movie are originally performed by Dionne Warwick.
- Cameron Diaz and Rupert Everett starred together in the Shrek movies, playing Princess Fiona and Prince Charming.
- A very rare instance in which the word “fuck” is used in a sexual context in a PG-13 film. Usually a sexualized use of the word automatically gets a film an R-rating.
- Michael (Dermot Mulroney) often calls Julianne (Julia Roberts) by her nickname Jules, which coincidentally is Julia Roberts’ nickname in real life.
- Both Cameron Diaz and Julia Roberts would go on to play Abigail Breslin’s mom in separate movies: Diaz in My Sister’s Keeper (2009) and Roberts in August: Osage County (2013).
- During the “helium” scene, the song being sung was “Annie’s Song” by John Denver. Denver would die in a plane crash a few months after the film’s release in 1997.
- In the original ending, after watching Michael and Kimberly leave the wedding reception, Julianne meets a man (played by John Corbett). This ending did not test well and audiences wanted to see more of George, so a new ending was filmed.
- The scene where everyone gathers in a large room to watch Kimmy throw the bouquet was filmed at Cuneo Museum and Gardens in Vernon Hills, Illinois. The movie crew removed the large carpet from the floor and stored it someplace – it took the museum staff several months to find it again.
- Sarah Jessica Parker was originally offered the role of Julianne Potter, but she was not able to take the role because she was committed to HBO in order to play Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City (1998).