Kurt Cobain was an American musician, artist, songwriter, guitarist and poet, known as frontman of the band Nirvana. Here are some facts that you probably didn’t know about him:
– When Nirvana was on the rise, Metallica sent them a fax that read: “We really dig Nirvana. ‘Nevermind’ is the best album of the year. Let’s get together soon, Metallica. PS, Lars hates the band.”
– For many years, Cobain enjoyed making Super-8 films. One of these movies contains a scene in which Cobain commits suicide.
– Cobain came close to joining the Navy, even meeting with a recruitment officer at one point to discuss enrolling.
– Cobain recorded his first songs in December 1982 at his Aunt Mari’s house. They involved a guitar, bass, and spoons banged against a suitcase. Cobain titled the recordings “Organized Confusion.”
– Cobain started using heroin on a daily basis to relieve his chronic stomach pains. In his diary, he wrote, “So I decided, if I felt like a junkie, I may as well be one.”
– While homeless for a time, Cobain would sleep in the waiting room at Grays Harbour Community Hospital, the place of his birth.
– As a child, Cobain could recite the dialog from ‘Close Encounters Of The Third Kind’ word-for-word.
– As a boy, Cobain was temporarily put on Ritalin to curb his hyperactivity.
– When asked what it’s like being number one on Billboard, Cobain responded, “It’s like being number 16, only even more people kiss your ass.”
– One of Cobain’s most prized possessions was a signed first edition of William S. Burroughs’ ‘Naked Lunch’.
– After performing “Territorial Pissings” on Saturday Night Live, Cobain and Nirvana bassist, Krist Novoselic began French-kissing. SNL refused to air the footage on reruns.
– Before he was famous, for a time Cobain worked as a swimming instructor for kids at the YMCA in Aberdeen.
– When just starting out, Cobain insisted that Nirvana practice five nights a week.
– While in junior high, Cobain’s father, Donald, enrolled Cobain in his school’s wrestling team. In tournaments, Cobain refused to fight back. Instead, he sat on the mat with his arms folded.
– As a boy, Cobain had an imaginary friend named “Boddah.”