Photo by Universal
In December 27 1991, was released one of the most classic movies of the 90’s, ‘Fried Green Tomatoes’. The movie is about Evelyn Couch, who is having trouble in her marriage, and no one seems to take her seriously. While in a nursing home visiting relatives, she meets Ninny Threadgoode, an outgoing old woman, who tells her the story of Idgie Threadgoode, a young woman in 1920’s Alabama. Through Idgie’s inspiring life, Evelyn learns to be more assertive and builds a lasting friendship of her own with Ninny.
Stars: Kathy Bates, Jessica Tandy, Mary Stuart Masterson, Mary-Louise Parker
Director: Jon Avnet
To celebrate the 25th anniversary, here are some of the curiosities about this movie.
- Mary Stuart Masterson did all of the bee stunts herself because her stunt double quit at the last minute.
- Author Fannie Flagg is the woman telling the classroom of disaffected women, “You can get that spark back into your marriage!”
- There really is a Whistle Stop Cafe that does indeed serve fried green tomatoes (among other Southern foods) just north of Macon Georgia. It is in the actual area where many of the scenes were filmed. After the film became a huge success, the Whistle Stop Cafe set was turned intolerance an actual restaurant, and its surrounding area into a tourist attraction. Although they may have filmed in Georgia, the true Whistle Stop Cafe is in Irondale, Alabama (a suburb or Birmingham, where Author Fannie Flagg grew up.)
- Director Jon Avnet referred to Mary-Louise Parker as “Lou” and Mary Stuart Masterson as “Stu” on the set because their names are so similar and he had to say them so often.
- Author Fannie Flagg was good friends with Mary Kay Ash, founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics. In the movie, Mrs. Threadgoode suggests Evelyn would be “good with cosmetics” – so she becomes a successful Mary Kay beauty consultant.
- Jessica Tandy and Kathy Bates both won the Best Actress Oscar for the two previous years, in Driving Miss Daisy (1989) and Misery (1990). 1991’s Best Actress was Jodie Foster for The Silence of the Lambs (1991). Kathy Batesread the audio book version and presented Anthony Hopkins with his Best Actor Award, Mary-Louise Parker appeared in the prequel, Red Dragon (2002).
- Uma Thurman auditioned for the role of Idgie Threadgoode.
- Co-stars Kathy Bates and Mary Stuart Masterson share the same birthday: June 28th.
- Susan Sarandon was considered to play Evelyn Couch.
- The “Valdosta” courthouse in the movie (where the trial is held) is not actually Valdosta’s courthouse. The real one is white brick, the movie courthouse has red brick.
- The Winn Dixie scene was filmed in Fayetteville GA across hwy 85 across from Kroger.