Photo by Warner Bros.
In November 10 1996, was released one of the most iconic movies from the 90’s, ‘Space Jam’. The movie begins when Swackhammer, owner of the amusement park planet Moron Mountain is desperate to get new attractions and he decides that the Looney Tune characters would be perfect. He sends his diminutive underlings to get them to him, whether Bugs Bunny & Co. want to go or not. Well armed for their size, Bugs Bunny is forced to trick them into agreeing to a competition to determine their freedom. Taking advantage of their puny and stubby legged foes, the gang selects basketball for the surest chance of winning. However, the Nerdlucks turn the tables and steal the talents of leading professional basketball stars to become massive basketball bruisers known as the Monstars. In desperation, Bugs Bunny calls on the aid of Micheal Jordan, the Babe Ruth of Basketball, to help them have a chance at winning their freedom.
Stars: Michael Jordan, Wayne Knight, Theresa Randle
Director: Joe Pytka
To celebrate the 20th anniversary, here are some of the curiosities about this movie.
- The movie’s original promotional website can still be found online, exactly as it appeared in 1996.
- Michael Jordan actually wore his college basketball shorts under his Chicago Bulls uniform every game as a good luck charm.
- This film marks the debut of Lola Bunny, Bugs’ love interest.
- To keep Michael Jordan happy while filming, Warner Bros. built him his own basketball court.
- Bill Murray’s appearance is a reference to a series of 1990’s commercials in which Murray starred. In the commercials, Murray tries and fails to become an NBA player.
- The Monstars/Nerdlucks’ names are Pound (orange one), Bang (green), Nawt (magenta), Bupkus (purple) and Blanko (blue). None of their names are mentioned in the film, and neither is the word “Nerdluck.”
- When the aliens from Moron Mountain are in disguise at the basketball game they are wearing Tom Baker’s scarf from Doctor Who (1963).
- A picture of Bosko, Warner Bros. first cartoon star, can be seen hanging on the wall of the meeting hall, in the scene where Yosemite Sam confronts the aliens.
- The Tune Squad’s jersey numbers: 1, Bugs Bunny; 2, Daffy Duck; 3, Sniffles the Mouse; 6, Yosemite Sam; 8, Porky Pig; 9, Sylvester; 10, Lola Bunny; 13, Wile E. Coyote; 22, Bill Murray; 23, Michael Jordan; 25, Barnyard Dawg; 33, Foghorn Leghorn; 53, Elmer Fudd; heart symbol, Pepe Le Pew; exclamation point, Tasmanian Devil; question mark, Beaky Buzzard.
- When playing basketball, Michael Jordan is wearing the Air Jordan XI shoes.
- The film has a video game under the same title. It was a watered down NBA Jam clone that featured Jordan and the toon squad vs the monster aliens.