- Doug is left-handed.
- Doug’s favorite band, “The Beets”, is an obvious reference to The Beatles, most notably the lead singer (who bears a striking resemblance to John Lennon) and the drummer (who bears a similar resemblance to Ringo Starr).
- The origin of the character Patti Mayonnaise is the combination of the names of two girls Jim Jinkins had a crush on in school.
- Originated as a book called “Doug Got a New Pair of Shoes”.
- The movie character Smash Adams is based on James Bond.
- The number 47 is referenced numerous times. For example, it is Doug’s locker number, it’s used on many street signs, and the liver and onions meal is meal #47 on the restaurant’s menu.
- The only of three original Nicktoons not to star Cheryl Chase.
- Sometimes, Doug would write up comic books of himself when he “daydreams”. One of them is Quail Man, though not a reference to any pre-existing comic book hero, but Quail Man wears his underwear over his pants, poking fun at most heroes in comic books that have an “underwear” shape design on their costumes.
- The name of Doug’s unseen principal, Mr. Buttsavich, was the name of Jim Jinkins’ elementary school principal.
- The character of Skunky Beaumont is mentioned frequently in the old Nickelodeon episodes but never actually appears. He does appear in the later Disney-produced episodes, however.
- Doug moves to 21 Jumbo Street, the street is named after the production company, Jumbo Pictures Inc.