The Asian berry is a fruit consumed for thousands of years by eastern countries like China, Tibet and India. It is rich in minerals, vitamins and fatty acids. It is also rich in essential amino acids, so it contains high biological value protein, which is not common to find in plants. The goji berry is also good because of the low calories (a tablespoon contains 50 calories).
– Antioxidant action: The fruit helps prevent cardiovascular and inflammatory diseases and neurological and immune system disorders. Thanks to the large amount of polyphenols, such as anthocyanins and revesratrol, it protects the body from premature aging. It is known as the longevity fruit between Tibetans.
– Energy action: the goji berry has high concentration of vitamin C, about 100 grams of fruit contains 2 grams of vitamin C. Daily consumption provides welfare in general and increases the energy level and sleep quality .
– Immunostimulant action: The fruit has lots of B vitamins such as B1, B2 and B6. According to nutróloga, these vitamins maintain healthy and competent immune system.
– Ophthalmic Action: Rich in carotenoids, fruits with red pigments, such as goji berry, protect the eyes. The fruit also contains lutein and zeaxanthin, two carotenoids that prevent age-related macular degeneration, causes of blindness in the elderly.
– Photoprotective action: Th beta-carotene, present in goji berry, protects the skin from sun damage.
– Anticancer action: The antioxidadante power of polyphenols present in fruit, contributes to the prevention of cancer.
– Antilipemic action: contain fatty acids such as linoleic, the fruit helps in reducing bad cholesterol (LDL).
– Losing weight: It has powerful stimulating action, can assist in stimulating physical activity and cause weight loss.
HOW TO CONSUME:
There are three ways to find it: in natura (it’s hard to find in the markets), dehydrated (in specialized shops) and in the form of supplements, in capsules or powder (in compounding pharmacies).
Two tablespoons a day or 150ml of the juice. It can be included in place of another fruit, preferably in the morning. We can mix with other fruits, as well as yogurts, cereals, salads or juices. Its flavor is slightly bitter. If consumed with yogurt, may be more palatable. Avoid adding sugar.
Some studies show that excessive consumption of tea with goji berry has inhibitory action of warfarin (medication used to prevent thrombosis). Its consumption is not recommended for those who make use of this medication. It is assumed that some of the fruit substance interacts with the P450, placed in the liver where many drugs are metabolized. Its consumption is not recommended for those who make use of important medications for glycemic control and pressure, for example. It’s recommended the distant consumption of the moment of the use of daily medications.