Painter Frida Kahlo was a Mexican self-portrait artist who was married to Diego Rivera and is still admired as a feminist icon. Here are some interesting facts about her that most people don’t know:
– Frida Kahlo was born Magdalena Carmen Frieda Kahlo y Calderón. The name Frieda comes from the German word Friede, which means peace. She dropped the efrom her name around 1935, and subsequently became known as Frida.
– Of her 143 paintings, 55 are self-portraits and 88 are not.
– She underwent 35 operations as a result of the bus accident she had in her youth.
– Frida was injured in a bus accident at age 15, she died at age 47.
– She frequently included the symbolic monkey. In Mexican mythology, monkeys are symbols of lust, but Kahlo portrayed them as tender and protective symbols.
– The Louvre bought one of her paintings, ‘The Frame’. This was the first work by a 20th century Mexican artist ever purchased by the internationally renowned museum.
– Frida Kahlo’s ‘Roots’ holds the auction record for a Latin American piece of art.
– The 1943 work was sold for US$ 5.6 million in 2006.
– Diego Rivera, her husband, was 20 years older than Frida.
– Frida lived 4 years in the United States, including time in San Francisco, CA.